Many years ago, I saw an episode of Pit Masters, where Myron Mixon showed his method for creating award winning competition chicken thighs. His method for creating consistent looking and wonderfully tender chicken was by using a cupcake tray.
In this video, I show you how to do it and present you with some options for BBQ sauce and rub.
If don’t have a smoker, but do have a grill, this looks like a pretty nifty device: https://amzn.to/425V7bB
My BBQ rub recipe with macros: https://www.seriousketo.com/archives/5997
My sweet & tangy BBQ sauce recipe with macros: https://www.seriousketo.com/archives/6002
My RecTeq pellet grill / smoker: https://amzn.to/3Mq5JfO
Silicone cupcake mold: https://amzn.to/3MpLleA
BBQ gloves: https://amzn.to/3q4fdG1
Because the macros on this recipe will vary depending on what you use for a rub and sauce, I’ll simply list the steps below…
1. Preheat smoker to 275F (135C). My favorite wood for smoking chicken is cherry wood.
2. Using kitchen or poultry sheers, snip off the “knuckle” ends of both sides of the thigh bone. Also if there is more skin than is necessary to cover the top and sides of the thigh, trim that off.
3. Coat the skin side and bottom of the thigh with the BBQ rub of your choice, then stuff the thighs, skin side down, into a large cupcake or muffin mold with holes cut in the bottom of each cup.
4. Place the mold in an aluminum pan or on a baking sheet, add 1.5 cups (355mL) of chicken stock to the pan and smoke for 1.5 hours.
5. Using a large spoon or tongs, flip each thigh skin side up and smoke for 45 minutes.
6. Transfer the thighs to a separate pan or tray and coat the skin side with the BBQ sauce of your choice.
7. Smoke for another 30 minutes, then serve.
🏪 Serious Keto Amazon Store (where you can find the tools and ingredients I use): https://www.amazon.com/shop/seriousketo
👨🍳 You can contribute to SeriousKeto’s recipe test lab and enjoy some “behind-the-scenes” perks by becoming a channel member: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCecoI0NlmzY8H8NlP6v3YRg/join
🎁 Get SeriousKeto merchandise: https://teespring.com/stores/seriousketo-merch
📷 Follow SeriousKeto on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/seriousketo/
💬 Follow SeriousKeto on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/seriousketocooking/
SeriousKeto is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.